The transportation of biological samples is a crucial part of the field of medicine and scientific research. These samples, which may include tissues, blood, bodily fluids, and other biological materials, contain valuable information for the diagnosis, treatment, and advancement of various diseases. However, few people monitor the logistics process in real-time in order to reduce errors in diagnosis and, consequently, the laboratory costs involved.
Control and traceability of sample transportation
The transportation of biological samples involves a series of aspects that must be properly addressed to ensure the integrity of the samples and the accuracy of the results obtained. Some of the notable challenges in this process include:
- Time and distance, especially when samples need to reach specialized laboratories or research centers in remote locations.
- Storage conditions: Biological samples require specific temperature and humidity conditions to maintain their stability and viability during transportation. If the samples are subjected to inadequate storage conditions during transportation, they can degrade, directly affecting the quality of the results obtained.
- Proper packaging: It is crucial to use appropriate containers and packaging that protect the samples from possible physical damage and contamination. This involves the use of airtight containers, insulating materials, and securing systems to prevent sample breakage and spillage during transportation.
The importance of preserving the cold chain in the transportation of biological samples
The cold chain refers to the process of maintaining a temperature within established parameters from the extraction of the samples to their arrival at the final destination. Preserving the cold chain is key to reducing the incidence rate. Some key points to consider are:
- Use and handling of samples: It is essential to transport the samples in temperature-controlled containers for prolonged temperature maintenance.
- Personnel training: Individuals involved in sample transportation must be trained in good handling practices, including storage, temperature control, alert detection, and decision-making in adverse situations.
Recommendations to avoid potential damages during transportation
- Secure packaging: Samples must be transported safely to avoid any type of impact. For this, the container must be robust and designed to maintain the temperature within the desired range.
- Appropriate transport routes: Selecting suitable transport routes can minimize the risks associated with the transportation of biological samples. Routes with extreme environmental conditions or infrastructure issues that may affect the integrity of the samples should be avoided.
Groenlandia Tech and the transportation of biological samples
With the aim of optimizing the logistics process, improving content security, and consequently reducing laboratory costs associated with transportation issues, Groenlandia Tech has developed a SaaS platform and Nuuk, an intelligent fridge designed and manufactured under the International Packaging Regulations for Biological Substances UN 3373. Specifically, Groenlandia Tech’s technology allows:
- Temperature control and maintenance: Temperature monitoring during the loading, transportation, and unloading process. Additionally, the fridge provides excellent thermal capacity to maintain the temperature uninterrupted for up to 72 hours.
- Passive cooling: Nuuk features adaptable cooling technology within a temperature range of 10ºC to 23ºC or 2ºC to 8ºC, adapting to the storage conditions of the transported sample.
- Secure loading and alert system: Nuuk is connected to a cloud platform through an integrated SIM. It reports all interactions during the logistics process and alerts such as temperature out of range, attempted openings, impact detection, GPS positioning, and user identification who handle the device.
- Real-time data monitoring: Nuuk’s Cloud platform allows users to optimize operations and automatically and reliably store all collected information.
- Onboarding and training: To achieve digital transformation, Groenlandia Tech’s operations team offers its customers training on Nuuk and SaaS, as well as providing all the necessary training materials and personalized support from start to finish.